RSS

NBC’s Matt Lauer vs. Romney on the ‘Politics of Envy’

11 Jan

I happened to catch this quite by accident this morning, but did Matt Lauer make a fool of himself here or what?  And although I’m not a Romney fan, he did handle this very well and put the smack on the Emperor and his court jester, Matt Lauer.

NBC Transcript (slightly improved)

Lauer:  Let me ask you about the choice of words last night when you said with we already have a leader who divides us with the bitter politics of envy. I’m curious about the word envy. Did you suggest that anyone who questions the policies and practices of wall street and financial institutions , anyone who has questions about the distribution of wealth and power in this country is envious? Is it about jealousy or fairness?

Romney:  You know, i think it’s about envy. I think it’s about class warfare . When you have a president encouraging the idea of dividing america based on 99% versus 1% and those people who have been most successful are in the 1% you have opened up a wave of approach in this country which is entirely inconsistent with the concept of one nation under god. i believe in the final analysis , the american people with will reject it.

Lauer:  Aren’t there questions about the distribution of wealth without it being seen as envy?

Romney:  I think it’s fine to talk about those things in quiet rooms and tax policy and the like. but the president made it part of his campaign rally. everywhere he goes we hear him talking about millionaires, billionaires, executives and wall street . it’s an envy-oriented, attack-oriented approach and i think it will fail.

 

Advertisements
 
 

2 responses to “NBC’s Matt Lauer vs. Romney on the ‘Politics of Envy’

  1. Mary

    January 12, 2012 at 9:54 am

    I think Romney is the one who made a fool of himself. Talk about it in “quiet rooms”? Is that the place to have a long overdue discussion about income inequality? While most people acknowledge there is income inequality, they feel that the 1% has gotten rich through hard work (like the rest of us 99% don’t work our fingers to the bones). Studies have shown this is not the case. People gain in society because their families give them the boost they need to make their work pay off. In this way, rich families get richer and the poor, well… We’ve seen what happens under the current tax system.

     
  2. P. Henry Saddleburr

    January 12, 2012 at 11:53 am

    Income inequality is a fact of life in every country on the planet. Some make more than others through either positions of power, hard work or even dumb luck. Some actors make more money than others, as do athletes.

    I reject the notion that incomes should be equal. Some people are just worth more to society than others.

     

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: